Virtualization Conference & Expo News Desk
Nine Steps To an Enterprise Cloud Service Utility
This Enterprise Cloud Virtual Oriented Utility Blueprint help organizations to become more flexible and responsive
By: Tony Bishop
Mar. 15, 2010 06:00 AM
Adaptivity Keynote at Cloud Expo
The playbook for exploiting virtualizaiton AND other key enabling technology components is outlined in nine steps below. Fundamentally, an enterprise cloud vs a public cloud is specifically business aligned to the enteprise. The program creates a virtual oriented cloud utility platform that incorporates the needs of the business, the control over execution and the leverage of everything virtual.
This Enterprise Cloud Virtual Oriented Utility Blueprint help organizations to become more flexible and responsive to the dynamic needs of the business; simplify & reduce the complexity of the IT environment; get more value out of project & operational IT spend – both systems & people; reduce costs while delivering improved service; eliminate dedicated silos of data, systems and infrastructure as they exist today; reduce the time it takes to build and deploy new business services; implement and sustain predictable qualities of service
The 9-step blueprint for successfully creating a Enterprise Cloud Service Utility…
1. Economic Model - define the Business & IT linkage of demand and supply. Orient the analysis and model creation around the interactive dynamics of: consumptionof IT resources by the business and the fulfillment behavior of processing by IT.
2. Demand Mapping - in natural language terms (no geek speak) define and capture the day in the life of the business, what they expect, where there are problems today, and understand sensitivities to cost, bottlenecks, and timing constraints.
3. Consumption Management - instrument and capture “objective” factual data of which users, using what applications, consume what app, server, network and storage resources for how long. Ensure you trend this over a period of time to accurately identify peaks, valleys and nominal growth.
4. Virtual Runtime Management - runtime control and execution enforcement of ensuring the right work gets done at the right time with the right resources. Business operates dynamically in real time, your infrastructure needs too also!
5. Virtual Resource Management - infrastructure and information resources should be exposed as services that are made available (provisioned, re-purposed,etc…) to virtual runtime management in an abstracted, on-demand nature as required.
6. Implement Virtual Resources - once runtime management, resource management and instrumentation is in place, then and only then do you implement “everything virtual”. This is a critical lesson that traps most organizations where they start bottom up without any ability to manage and ensure business alignment.
7. Standardize & Optimize the Plumbing - agility comes from a consistent foundation and optimal resources. All applications , information and infrastructure services should be built on top of standardized plumbing (client, server, mediation and data). Self contained pods of resources (compute, storage, network and specialized processing appliances) should be utilized in concert with virtual runtime management to provide “more with less” processing capabilities.
8. Product & Portfolio Management - coalescing business and technical priorities in aligned continuous capability adoption – will ensure sustainment and differentiation of your business thru IT.
9. Service & Change Management - dynamic models of operation require processes and procedures of service delivery and change management to be able to accommodate “on the fly” and “as needed – when needed” operation of IT.
This playbook comes from proven experience building private cloud utilities for one of the largest banks in the work. The cloud utility operated over 16 datacenters globally executing 300 application services on demand, 150 information as services subscription models; 50,000 dynamically provisioned service nodes (compute, network and storage) and 14 platform framework provisoned as on demand services.
Reader Feedback: Page 1 of 1
Latest Cloud Developer Stories
Subscribe to the World's Most Powerful Newsletters
Subscribe to Our Rss Feeds & Get Your SYS-CON News Live!
SYS-CON Featured Whitepapers
Most Read This Week