From the Wires
Cheapflights.ca Reveals Its Top 5 Trend Predictions for Travel in 2012
Forecast Covers Where, Why and How Canadians Will Travel Next Year
By: Marketwired .
Dec. 22, 2011 10:00 AM
TORONTO -- (Marketwire) -- 12/22/11 -- As we begin to countdown the last days of 2011, many Canadians are wondering what's in store for 2012. While the Canadian economy is relatively healthy, the uncertainty and volatility of the global economy has an impact on us here. These times of uncertainty will also have an influence on the travel industry, but Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, is here to say the outlook is not all bleak. While taking into account the global economy, as well as other factors, the travel experts at Cheapflights have compiled their Top 5 Trend Predictions for 2012 Travel forecasting where, why and how consumers plan to travel in the new year.
"The state of the global economy is making the headlines on a daily basis," says Lauren Sullivan, site editor for Cheapflights.ca. "The Canadian economy is the bright light amidst all this darkness. However, the Canadian travel industry will inevitably be affected by all the global uncertainty -- both for Canadians travelling abroad and international travellers coming to Canada. Thus finding creative ways to stretch the travel budget and get value for money will be a top priority for both travellers and travel providers as we enter 2012."
Below is a brief glimpse into each of Cheapflights.ca's Top 5 Travel Trend Predictions for 2012:
1. Value for money - Though the priority is to get away, cutting costs is still on the top of every traveller's mind. Cheapflights predicts value- for-money escapes will be the top trend in 2012; the industry will see a rise in consumer demand for discounted trips like package vacations, all-inclusives and cruises. Bundling trips into weekend deals and warm- weather getaways gives flyers the excuse to vacation without the guilt of spending big.
2. Rise in pet travel - So many flyers are taking dogs and cats onboard of late that the Canadian Transportation Agency has just ruled that certain airlines must protect allergic passengers. Air Canada and WestJet have been asked by the agency to either ban cats on flights with allergic passengers or to create feline-free zones with ventilation. Airlines around the globe are seeing significant increases in the number of pets travelling, with Virgin reporting a 1500 per cent increase in the number of dogs vacationing with their owners since 2003.
3. Athletic voluntourism vacations - When the economic downturn was officially announced in 2009, various types of vacations rooted in giving back emerged. This New Year is set to see the introduction of a new vacation trend: athletic voluntourism. Born out of the popular participation in famous world races such as the New York or London marathons, this trend is growing and spreading into other areas of sport delivering the doubly beneficial effect of raising money while getting fit.
4. Reality TV drives destination trends - Reality competitions like "The Amazing Race" and "Survivor" for years have offered viewers around-the- world trips from the comfort of their own couches. Now other reality shows are stepping up their destination game, focusing on prime places. Whether it's the proposals or the fist pumps, reality shows are inspiring TV junkies to consider vacation spots that, if not for their DVR, they may not have considered.
5. The new upgrade - Comfort, perks and new ways to upgrade define the face of flying for 2012. As airlines slice and dice their cabins, there will be inventive ways for passengers to find mini upgrades -- think more leg room, more luggage room and more comfort. Cue Cuddle Class, the economy class option where passengers can lay flat and cuddle up on long-haul flights.
To read in complete detail Cheapflights.ca's five notable trends that we predict will define next year's travel landscape visit www.cheapflights.ca/travel-tips/top-5-trend-predictions-for-2012-travel/.
About Cheapflights Media
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1839801
Latest Cloud Developer Stories
Subscribe to the World's Most Powerful Newsletters
Subscribe to Our Rss Feeds & Get Your SYS-CON News Live!
SYS-CON Featured Whitepapers
Most Read This Week