From the Wires
SGX Derivatives and Clearing Volumes Grow in October
Nov. 5, 2012 06:27 AM
Singapore, Nov 5, 2012 - (ACN Newswire) - Singapore Exchange (SGX) recorded volume growth in derivatives and commodities trading and clearing in October but securities market activity declined.
- Turnover fell 6% year-on-year to S$26.0 billion while daily average value (SDAV) was 14% lower at S$1.2 billion.
- Compared with September, turnover fell 8% while SDAV was 16% lower.
- Catalist turnover grew 90% year-on-year to S$626 million.
- Turnover of foreign currency-based Mainboard shares grew 13% year-on-year to S$1.4 billion.
- Bond listings totalled 39 raising S$19 billion compared with nine raising S$2.5 billion a year earlier; the biggest new bond listed in October was Nippon Life Insurance Company's US$2 billion 30-year note.
- Volume grew 20% year-on-year to 7.0 million contracts and daily average volume was 10% up at 333,464 contracts.
- The newer derivatives contracts continued to gain traction. China A50 futures volume more than tripled to 1.1 million contracts and Nikkei 225 options volume was up 91% at 556,104 contracts.
- Nikkei 225 futures trading fell 3% to 2.1 million contracts while MSCI Taiwan futures volume grew 6% to 1.4 million contracts and Nifty futures activity rose 12% to 1.4 million contracts.
- Open interest for equity index futures was up 33% as at end-October from a year earlier at almost 1 million contracts.
- OTC interest rate swaps cleared totalled S$307 billion since the November 2010 launch. Volume of new trades cleared in October was S$8.9 billion, up 15% year-on-year.
- SICOM rubber futures volume grew 23% to 26,956 contracts.
- AsiaClear volume was 68% up at 42,729 contracts; iron ore swaps clearing volume more than doubled to 32,249 contracts while volume of energy swaps cleared quadrupled to 1,695 contracts.
SGX Statistics At A Glance
Sep 2012 Oct 2012
Number of Trading Days (Securities) 20 22
Securities market Turnover Volume (mil shares) 32,844 35,664
Securities market Turnover Value ($million) 28,187 25,955
Securities Daily Average ($million) 1,409 1,180
Derivatives Volume 7,054,228 7,033,143
Derivatives Daily Average Volume 364,473 333,464
Total Number of Listed Securities 774 780
Total Market Capitalisation ($million) 901,920 904,630
About Singapore Exchange (SGX)
Singapore Exchange (SGX) is the Asian Gateway, connecting investors in search of Asian growth to corporate issuers in search of global capital. SGX represents the premier access point for managing Asian capital and investment exposure, and is Asia's most internationalised exchange with more than 40% of companies listed on SGX originating outside of Singapore. SGX offers its clients the world's biggest offshore market for Asian equity futures market, centred on Asia's three largest economies - China, India and Japan.
In addition to offering a fully integrated value chain from trading and clearing, to settlement and depository services, SGX is also Asia's pioneering central clearing house. Headquartered in Asia's most globalised city, and centred within the AAA strength and stability of Singapore's island nation, SGX is a peerless Asian counterparty for the clearing of financial and commodity products. For more information, please visit www.sgx.com
Source: Singapore Exchange (SGX)
Tel: +65 6236 8139
Tel: +65 6236 8658
Copyright 2012 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved.