From the Wires
AMD Unveils Innovative New APUs and SoCs That Give Consumers a More Exciting and Immersive Experience
AMD Enters 2013 With Its Strongest Consumer Line-up of APUs; Announces New Relationship With VIZIO
By: Marketwired .
Jan. 7, 2013 07:30 PM
LAS VEGAS, NV -- (Marketwire) -- 01/07/13 -- International Consumer Electronics Show -- AMD (NYSE: AMD), a leading provider of technology that enables visually-rich experiences for today's consumers, provided an early look at its new 2013 accelerated processing units (APUs) and announced a new OEM relationship with VIZIO. At an International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) event, AMD demonstrated working silicon of its first true system on chip (SoC) APUs, codenamed "Temash" and "Kabini," which will be the industry's first quad-core x86 SoCs. Both APUs are scheduled to ship in the first half of 2013. Demonstrations included a range of leading-edge applications and games on a "Kabini"-based ultrathin notebook and a "Temash"-based performance tablet and hybrid notebook.
AMD also introduced the new APU codenamed "Richland" which is currently shipping to OEMs and delivers visual performance increases ranging from more than 20 percent to up to 40 percent over the previous generation of AMD A-Series APUs(1). "Richland" is expected to come bundled with new software for consumers such as gesture- and facial-recognition to dramatically expand and enhance consumers' user experiences. The follow-on to "Richland" will be the 28nm APU codenamed "Kaveri" with revolutionary heterogeneous system architecture (HSA) features which is expected to begin shipping to customers in the second half of 2013.
Additionally, AMD announced a new series of discrete graphics processors for performance gaming that are already shipping to OEMs, AMD Radeon HD 8000M Series graphics. These latest products are reflective of the company's strategy to focus on creating differentiated IP leadership through low-power technologies that target the high-growth client markets such as ultrathin, convertible and tablet.
"With a groundbreaking new APU line-up in 2013, AMD is poised to win in high-growth consumer segments," said Lisa Su, senior vice president and general manager, AMD Global Business Units. "We are developing technologies with end users in mind -- to bring true surround computing and immersive experiences to our everyday lives. It is exciting to bring our industry-leading APU technologies to market, including the industry's first x86 quad-core SoC, while building on our leadership in graphics and gaming."
2013 APU Line-up Delivers a Huge Leap Forward in Performance-per-watt and Elite Software Experiences
AMD Forges NewTechnology Partnerships with Popular Consumer Brands
During an unveiling at today's press event, VIZIO was on hand to showcase a powerful new relationship and portfolio of AMD-based platforms. VIZIO's new AMD portfolio includes an 11.6" APU-powered tablet PC, two high-performance ultrathin notebooks in both 14" and 15.6," and an impressive 24" All-in-One (AiO) system.
"VIZIO is entering the consumer PC market in an even bigger way in 2013 and we are thrilled to include AMD in our line-up for the premium visual and gaming performance we believe their processors deliver," said Lily Knowles, vice president of Product Marketing, VIZIO. "AMD provides the VIZIO tablet, notebooks and All-in-One with the best graphics and visual experience for our customers."
In addition to VIZIO, AMD will support a wide variety of systems from several OEMs with premium features and stunning designs in 2013.
"The ASUS U38 delivers a premium feature set to consumers and was co-engineered in close partnership with AMD and Microsoft, and designed for Windows 8," said S.Y. Hsu, corporate vice president, ASUS. "With an HD touch display and solid-state drive for faster start-up times, the ASUS U38 brings the AMD A-Series APU to an entirely new tier of premium design."
"The HP Pavilion TouchSmart Sleekbook is HP's most affordable touch-enabled system, perfect for Windows 8 users and with the performance of the AMD A-Series APU supporting an excellent overall experience," said Kevin Frost, vice president and general manager, Consumer PCs, Printing and Personal Systems, HP. "The quality graphics, high-performance game play and immersive audio/video offered on the AMD-based HP TouchSmart Sleekbook will make it a hit with consumers of any age."
Bringing Surround Computing to Life at CES
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, AMD Radeon and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
This document contains forward-looking statements concerning AMD, the timing and features of AMD's future products, the ability of AMD to win in high-growth consumer segments with new APU products in 2013, the benefits from AMD's new technology partnerships and the timing of future products that incorporate AMD's products, which are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements are commonly identified by words such as "would," "may," "expects," "believes," "plans," "intends," "projects," and other terms with similar meaning. Investors are cautioned that the forward-looking statements in this document are based on current beliefs, assumptions and expectations, speak only as of the date of this document and involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from current expectations. Risks include the possibility that Intel Corporation's pricing, marketing and rebating programs, product bundling, standard setting, new product introductions or other activities may negatively impact the company's plans; the company may be unable to develop, launch and ramp new products and technologies in the volumes that are required by the market at mature yields on a timely basis; that the company's third party foundry suppliers will be unable to transition its products to advanced manufacturing process technologies in a timely and effective way or to manufacture the company's products on a timely basis in sufficient quantities and using competitive technologies; the company will be unable to obtain sufficient manufacturing capacity or components to meet demand for its products or will not fully utilize its commitment with respect to GLOBALFOUNDRIES microprocessor manufacturing facilities; that customers stop buying the company's products or materially reduce their operations or demand for the company's products; that the company may be unable to maintain the level of investment in research and development that is required to remain competitive; that there may be unexpected variations in the market growth and demand for its products and technologies in light of the product mix that the company may have available at any particular time or a decline in demand; that the company will require additional funding and may be unable to raise sufficient capital on favorable terms, or at all; that global business and economic conditions will not improve or will worsen; that demand for computers will be lower than currently expected; and the effect of political or economic instability, domestically or internationally, on the company's sales or supply chain. Investors are urged to review in detail the risks and uncertainties in the company's Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including but not limited to the quarterly report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended Sept. 29, 2012.
(1) Testing and projections develop by AMD Performance Labs. The score for the 2012 AMD A10-4600M on 3DMark 11 was 1150 and the 2012 AMD A8-4555M was 780 while the "Richland" 2013 AMD A10-5750M was 1400 and the AMD A8-5545M was 1100. PC configuration based on the "Pumori" reference design with the 2012 AMD A10-4600M with Radeon HD 7660G graphics, the 2012 AMD A8-4555M with AMD Radeon HD 7600G graphics, the 2013 AMD A10-5750M with AMD Radeon HD 8650G graphics and the 2013 AMD A8-5545M with AMD Radeon 8510G Graphics. All configurations use 4G DDR3-1600 (Dual Channel) Memory and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. RIN-1
(2) Test conducted in AMD Performance Labs using FutureMark 3DMark Vantage P as a metric for GPU performance and PCMark Vantage as a metric for CPU performance. The AMD Z-60 APU-based system scored 455 and 1914 in 3DMark and PCMark respectively. The AMD A6-1450 APU-based system delivers scores of 981 and 3123 in 3DMark and PCMark respectively. The platforms tested were the AMD Z-60 APU with AMD Radeon HD 6250 graphics, 2x 2GB DDR3-1066, Microsoft Windows 7 and the "Larne" reference platform with an AMD A6-1450 Quad Core 1.0GHz APU, AMD Radeon HD 8280 Series graphics, 2GB DDR3-1066 system memory and Microsoft Windows 7. TEM-2
(3) Test conducted in AMD Performance Labs measuring productivity performance with PCMark Vantage. The "Kabini" A6 APU-based system scored 5271 while the "Brazos" APU-based system scored 2807. "Kabini" PC config is based off the "Larne" reference design with 2013 AMD A6-5200 APU with AMD Radeon HD 8400 graphics, 4G DDR3 1600, and Windows 8 64bit. "Brazos" PC config is based off the "Renmore" reference resign with 2012 AMD E2-1800 APU with AMD Radeon HD 7340 graphics, 4G DDR3 1333 and Windows 7 Ultimate. KBN-3
(4) Testing and projections develop by AMD Performance Labs. The score for the 2012 AMD A10-4600M on the PCMark 7 Overall benchmark was 1965 and the 2012 AMD A8-4555M was 1650, while the "Richland" 2013 AMD A10-5750M was 2175 and the 2013 AMD A8-5545M was 1850. PC configs based on the "Pumori" reference design with the 2012 AMD A10-4600M with Radeon HD 7660G graphics, the 2012 AMD A8-4555M with AMD Radeon HD 7600G graphics, the 2013 AMD A10-5750M with AMD Radeon HD 8650G graphics and the 2013 AMD A8-5545M with AMD Radeon 8510G Graphics. All configs used 4G DDR3-1600 (Dual Channel) Memory and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. RIN-4
(5) Based on testing and calculations by AMD Performance Labs, the 2013 AMD A-Series "Richland" platform enables 780 min./13:00 hours of Screen on idle / eReader. Battery life calculations based on a 6 cell Li-Ion 62.16Whr battery pack at 98% utilization. AMD defines "all-day" battery life as 8+ hours of battery life in Windows Idle. Test configuration: "Pumori" reference board, AMD A6-5350M APU with AMD Radeon HD 8450G Graphics, 4G DDR3-1600 (Dual Channel) Memory and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, 14" 1366 x 768 eDP Panel / LED Backlight set at 100 nits, HDD (SATA) - 250GB 5400rpm, 62Whr Battery Pack and Windows 7 Home Premium. RIN-5
Latest Cloud Developer Stories
Subscribe to the World's Most Powerful Newsletters
Subscribe to Our Rss Feeds & Get Your SYS-CON News Live!
SYS-CON Featured Whitepapers
Most Read This Week
Breaking Cloud Computing News