Comments
yourfanat wrote: I am using another tool for Oracle developers - dbForge Studio for Oracle. This IDE has lots of usefull features, among them: oracle designer, code competion and formatter, query builder, debugger, profiler, erxport/import, reports and many others. The latest version supports Oracle 12C. More information here.
Cloud Expo on Google News
SYS-CON.TV
Cloud Expo & Virtualization 2009 East
PLATINUM SPONSORS:
IBM
Smarter Business Solutions Through Dynamic Infrastructure
IBM
Smarter Insights: How the CIO Becomes a Hero Again
Microsoft
Windows Azure
GOLD SPONSORS:
Appsense
Why VDI?
CA
Maximizing the Business Value of Virtualization in Enterprise and Cloud Computing Environments
ExactTarget
Messaging in the Cloud - Email, SMS and Voice
Freedom OSS
Stairway to the Cloud
Sun
Sun's Incubation Platform: Helping Startups Serve the Enterprise
POWER PANELS:
Cloud Computing & Enterprise IT: Cost & Operational Benefits
How and Why is a Flexible IT Infrastructure the Key To the Future?
Click For 2008 West
Event Webcasts
What's the Difference Between Cloud Computing and SaaS?
Every time I log into Facebook, or search for flights online, I am taking advantage of cloud computing

Praising Gaw's Blog

Every time I log into Facebook, or search for flights online, I am taking advantage of cloud computing. However, neither of these examples would be considered SaaS. According to Gartner, cloud computing is not just a buzzword; it does have a distinct meaning separate from SaaS.
|
Recently, I’ve noticed that a lot of vendors have started talking about “cloud computing” in their marketing materials. In many cases they’re referring to solutions that were previously called Software-as-a-Service (SaaS), which begs the question – what is the difference between these two terms, anyway? Is “cloud computing” simply a new industry buzzword with no real meaning? Or is there actually a difference between the two?

Fortunately, the analysts at Gartner helped to answer my question with a recent report that clearly addressed just this issue. According to them, cloud computing is not just a buzzword; it does have a distinct meaning separate from SaaS.

The way I understand it, “cloud computing” refers to the bigger picture…basically the broad concept of using the internet to allow people to access technology-enabled services. According to Gartner, those services must be “massively scalable” to qualify as true “cloud computing”. So according to that definition, every time I log into Facebook, or search for flights online, I am taking advantage of cloud computing. However, neither of these examples would be considered SaaS.

While most (but not all) Software-as-a-Service solutions fall under the larger cloud computing definition as “massively scalable”, they also have a number of other defining factors. First, SaaS is software that’s “owned, delivered, and managed remotely by one or more providers.” It also “allows a sharing of application processing and storage resources in a one-to-many environment…on a pay-for-use basis, or as a subscription.”

So, with all that said, I can clearly state that Fortiva is a SaaS solution using cloud computing…but does it really matter? At the end of the day it comes down to how well the solution meets the needs of the user, both from a feature-functionality, as well as from a total cost of ownership perspective. Whatever you want to call it, the benefits of SaaS solutions go well beyond the buzzwords that may be used to describe them. Understanding that is much more important than getting caught up in the terms marketers use to try to get customers’ attention.

[This post appeared originally here and is republished in full with the kind permission of the author.]

About Praising Gaw
Praising Gaw is VP of Marketing at Fortiva.

In order to post a comment you need to be registered and logged in.

Register | Sign-in

Reader Feedback: Page 1 of 1

One addition to your article would be a brief discussion of Platform as a Service (PaaS). This is a technology stack that lives between the Cloud infrastructure & the software as a service application. Every software application must have an environment that runs that software. The environment is made up of web servers, application servers, database servers, search servers, etc. All of this needs to be wrappered together with managed services like application level monitoring, backups and continuous improvement. This is the PaaS layer.

Cloud computing serves *developers & companies* who develop software and services. SaaS serves *end users* who use software.

There sure is a lot of confusion when it comes to talking about cloud computing. Yet, it does not need to be so complicated. There really are only three types of services that are cloud based: SaaS, PaaS, and Cloud Computing Platforms. I am not sure being massively scalable is a requirement to fit into any one category. We recently published a blog post on this subject with the purpose of simplifying the discussion via images and cutting through the confusion.

You can read about it here - "The ASP is dead, long live the Cloud"

https://community.paglo.com/blog_topic/index/110-the-asp-is-dead-long-li...

Brian de Haaff,
Paglo


Your Feedback
abramowski wrote: One addition to your article would be a brief discussion of Platform as a Service (PaaS). This is a technology stack that lives between the Cloud infrastructure & the software as a service application. Every software application must have an environment that runs that software. The environment is made up of web servers, application servers, database servers, search servers, etc. All of this needs to be wrappered together with managed services like application level monitoring, backups and continuous improvement. This is the PaaS layer.
Simple Difference wrote: Cloud computing serves *developers & companies* who develop software and services. SaaS serves *end users* who use software.
Brian de Haaff wrote: There sure is a lot of confusion when it comes to talking about cloud computing. Yet, it does not need to be so complicated. There really are only three types of services that are cloud based: SaaS, PaaS, and Cloud Computing Platforms. I am not sure being massively scalable is a requirement to fit into any one category. We recently published a blog post on this subject with the purpose of simplifying the discussion via images and cutting through the confusion. You can read about it here - "The ASP is dead, long live the Cloud" https://community.paglo.com/blog_topic/index/110-the-asp-is-dead-long-li... Brian de Haaff, Paglo
Latest Cloud Developer Stories
With more than 30 Kubernetes solutions in the marketplace, it's tempting to think Kubernetes and the vendor ecosystem has solved the problem of operationalizing containers at scale or of automatically managing the elasticity of the underlying infrastructure that these solutions n...
The deluge of IoT sensor data collected from connected devices and the powerful AI required to make that data actionable are giving rise to a hybrid ecosystem in which cloud, on-prem and edge processes become interweaved. Attendees will learn how emerging composable infrastructur...
When building large, cloud-based applications that operate at a high scale, it's important to maintain a high availability and resilience to failures. In order to do that, you must be tolerant of failures, even in light of failures in other areas of your application. "Fly two mis...
Machine learning has taken residence at our cities' cores and now we can finally have "smart cities." Cities are a collection of buildings made to provide the structure and safety necessary for people to function, create and survive. Buildings are a pool of ever-changing performa...
As Cybric's Chief Technology Officer, Mike D. Kail is responsible for the strategic vision and technical direction of the platform. Prior to founding Cybric, Mike was Yahoo's CIO and SVP of Infrastructure, where he led the IT and Data Center functions for the company. He has more...
Subscribe to the World's Most Powerful Newsletters
Subscribe to Our Rss Feeds & Get Your SYS-CON News Live!
Click to Add our RSS Feeds to the Service of Your Choice:
Google Reader or Homepage Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe with Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online
myFeedster Add to My AOL Subscribe in Rojo Add 'Hugg' to Newsburst from CNET News.com Kinja Digest View Additional SYS-CON Feeds
Publish Your Article! Please send it to editorial(at)sys-con.com!

Advertise on this site! Contact advertising(at)sys-con.com! 201 802-3021



SYS-CON Featured Whitepapers
ADS BY GOOGLE